Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Words

May 31, 2016

Blue Eyes
A couple weeks ago Hubby & I took a short trip to visit his sister and see her husband graduate with an advanced degree. With left the kids at home with my sisters. On the way up I commented that Blue Eyes hadn’t really said any words yet since his first birthday is coming up. The other two were saying Dada, Mama, and a few other things by now. Sometimes when Blue Eyes is really upset it sounds like he is saying Mama but maybe I’m imagining it. It used to seem like he was saying HI but I hadn’t heard that for quite a while. Anyway, he put his aunt through the ringer at bedtime but eventually went to sleep. The next morning she sent me a text saying that he slept all night and had said four words in less than five minutes that morning. I was like, WHAT??? I replied asking what they were. She said, “thank you” and “all done”. Later that night when we got home she told us that he drank his bottle and then acted like he wanted more so she made him some and as she gave it to him he said “thank you” then when he finished it he said “all done”. A few minutes later we heard him say “done!” He did variations of this for the next couple days. Two days later, he started saying DADADADA!!! After a bit I asked him to say MAMA, he just grinned at me and replied DADA!!!!!
Buddy
Around this same time Buddy started covering his eyes saying “My Hide. My Hiding.” He now does this almost every day at some point. Of course his favorite word is still “why” but he has been slowly adding words. I know there were a couple more but I can’t think of them now. Oh well. He has really been trying to tell us about his day or things that happen.
Sometimes we can understand or figure out what he’s saying but sometimes we can’t. It’s quite different from the way Princess was at this age. I don’t usually compare them but sometimes the contrast just hits and startles me. We have a memo that Hubby recorded of Princess at almost exactly Buddy’s age, it somehow got added as a song on my iPod and added to a playlist we often listen to. Her voice and words are so clear as she tells us about the things that God created and interacts with us. Soon I hope we are able to record Buddy in that same way.
One night last week Hubby was helping Princess get her room cleaned and organized. Buddy was with them. At one point Buddy came down and was babbling, as he gestured to the basement door. I asked him if he wanted to go down there and he said yes so I opened the door. A few minutes later he went upstairs with something in his hand. A minute later Hubby calls down to me and asks if Buddy asked me for a trash bag. I replied no and then asked him why he sent a child that can’t talk well to ask for something. He said he realized that as soon as Buddy headed down but thought he’d wait to see what happened. Buddy had went to the basement and pulled the base of an electric kettle out of the trash to take to Daddy. We aren’t sure why he got that but he did. He was happy to return it to the basement and help Mommy bring Daddy a bag.
After lunch today, Hubby gave him some Dots candy. Princess asked if she could have some; Buddy emphatically said “no, my can’y MINE.” She asked again, he said no. Then Hubby reminded her that the Dots were Buddy’s so she can’t have them she can have some of her own. He usually gets his point across using words and actions, today it was just words. J
Princess

The other day we were in the van returning home from somewhere, when Blue Eyes had had enough. He started crying and screaming. Princess was attempting to calm him by talking and singing to him. It usually works and he loves to hear her make up silly songs for him, but that night he wouldn’t be calmed. Princess calls up to us, “Parents, my brother Blue Eyes is apparently tired and screaming. I can’t get him calmed down as he apparently wants to go to bed.” We looked at each other and marveled at her use of the word apparently. We asked her about it and she told us that apparently was absolutely the right word to use. I hope she continues to love words and books. J  

No comments:

Post a Comment