Saturday, March 29, 2014

Buddy’s Pregnancy & Birth Story-Part 1

The summer of 2012 we decided to try to have another baby. My OB agreed to give me the medication I had been on with Princess but started me out at a lower dose. Not surprisingly to me it didn’t work. He bumped me up to the next dose which hadn’t worked before. This time it worked better but not as well as my Dr wanted, so he gave me the same dose as I had before. At first my Dr wasn’t pleased with the results because though it worked he felt it should have been faster and said that the middle dose the previous month actually did better. After I told him my previous experience with the medication he decided that though it wasn’t ideal it was probably just the way my body was and that since I had had success before I should continue, but let him know if I hadn’t gotten pregnant in 6 months so that we could discuss options. Two months later, I got pregnant. The funny thing was that again Hubby & I thought that the medication hadn’t worked that month! It was also the same month of the year, as Princess, though slightly later in the month. My due date was 2 days after Princess’s second birthday.
Again I didn’t have morning sickness, though I had a lot more headaches than with Princess. My doctor decided not to do an early ultrasound so this time we got to find out what we were having a month earlier than before. In late April we found out we were having a BOY! J
We started telling Princess about her brother and referred to the baby as such. We pretty much knew “brother’s” first name from the start as it was a name we had decided on previously, but changed and discussed the middle name for a few weeks. Whereas, with Princess we didn’t use her name even to each other as we were trying to keep it a secret, this time we used it with Princess and each other, but tried to keep it from others. It was funny because it drove my family nuts, they were always trying to figure it out. When they learned that Princess knew it they tried to get her to tell them. She would say “NO” or put her finger to her lips saying “Shh” (we actually never heard Princess use his name until after he was born). Sadly, I was the one that slipped up. One week when my sister was at our house as she had watched Princess during an appointment, I used his first name while talking to Hubby. My sis said that she wouldn’t tell as she liked the idea of knowing when others didn’t. However, a week or so later she said it and my brother thought he heard it (turns out he heard wrong). Anyway, we ended up telling most of our family the first name but keeping the middle a secret.
There for a while it felt like every doctor’s appointment brought bad or disappointing news. At 34 weeks I was told that Buddy was in a transverse lie position. This is sideways and is the worst position for a baby. At 35 weeks he was still there. The doctor said that if he hadn’t changed position by 36 weeks we’d have to discuss options. Thankfully at 36 he was head down. At my 37 weeks appointment I was told that I tested positive for GBS which meant that I would have to have antibiotics during labor. My doctor said that it was actually safer for the baby to test positive rather than negative because it was possible to be negative at 36 weeks but positive at delivery and vice versa. Since you can’t be tested during delivery if you are positive but don’t get the antibiotics the baby can get very sick and in rare cases die.   

At 38 weeks we had another ultrasound to check Buddy’s weight as Princess was big and had the shoulder dystocia so Buddy could have that problem too. They said that he was on track and should be fine, though we had our doubts especially considering Princess wasn’t born until 41 weeks. I was also told that I hadn’t progressed toward delivery at all. That continued over the next couple appointments. At 41 weeks we had a non-stress test and another ultrasound. Supposedly Buddy was only 7.5 pounds plus/minus half a pound. DOUBTFUL!!! I also still hadn’t progressed. If this continued another week my Dr would recommend a c-section as I probably wouldn’t be able to be induced. He said that if we tried at that point I would likely end up with an emergency c-section which is more difficult than a planned one. Anyway, at 41 weeks 4 days we went in for another non-stress test. Buddy was still doing well and thankfully I had started to progress!!! I was now eligible to be induced. It was scheduled for Thursday morning (exactly 42 weeks…according to him, I say 42w 1d), October 3, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment