Saturday, March 29, 2014

Buddy's Birth Story-Part 2

My sister was there (they were doing almost 24/7 “baby watch”) and my Mom came up the 2nd. It was very helpful and nice having one or both of my youngest sisters able to come up and watch Princess during most of my appointments. They were a lot of help.
Anyway, we got to the hospital at 7am and checked in. About 7:45 my doctor broke my water, well he tried but was successful so he said to start me on the Pitocin and the first of three doses I would receive of the antibiotic, and he’d come back in an hour. About 10 minutes later it broke and showed quite a bit of meconium—a lot more than with Princess, but they were still calling it “light”, can’t imagine what heavy would be! By 10am I decided to go ahead and get an epidural as the contractions were getting harder and I figured that I’d barely be able to take it by the time the epidural kicked in. While it was being put in they were getting pretty hard. Right away I wasn’t getting the relief I remembered having with Princess. I had a lot of pain in my right hip. They gave me a couple of bolus injections to help. It took another hour to be “pain free”.
During this time I read a book and Hubby had some books based on a comic strip. The temp nurse (subbing while my nurse was at lunch) was amazed how relaxed we were. Apparently some of the nurses/doctors thought I was too nice and polite to my husband. Really??? I should tell him he can’t eat because I can’t?? I DON”T think so! (He did choose a bad time to get his supper though. It came shortly before I was ready to start pushing, and something on the tray didn’t smell good to me.) Though many of them really enjoyed the music I had playing.
After lunch my nurses checked me and thought I was at 10. She called my Dr but when he came he thought I was more 7-8. Which actually was pretty good considering an hour before the epidural I was barely a 2? So 2-7 in the 2 hours since things kicked in sounded good. However about 30 minutes later I was in a lot of pain from my right hip across my belly. They gave me 2 or 3 more bolus injections but they didn’t help at all. I think it was during this time and not later that I felt like I was going to pass out. They gave me oxygen, but the mask made me feel like I was suffocating. After a few minutes I felt better so I took it off. The nurse replaced it and I told her I was fine. She told me that the oxygen was for the baby, so I left in on for a while. Finally they checked my epidural and discovered that it had come out. I hadn’t been receiving anything for at least 2 hours. They called down to get it replaced. I got to get rid of the oxygen. YEAH!! J A different anesthesiologist came and after removing all the tape they use and the old line—NOT FUN to have tape ripped off your back during a contraction!!—gave me a shot, some type of block I’ve forgotten the name of. The relief was immediate. Hubby said that he could see in my eyes, within the first 20 seconds, the pain melt away. The new epidural was placed in and the Dr stayed to make sure it kicked in. It was now about 4:30pm. I hadn’t progressed anymore.
Pretty much from the beginning Buddy showed signs of distress during contractions but would be fine between them so they figured that the cord must be under him in some way. Certain positions such as my right side caused a lot of distress. My Dr decided I needed an amnio flush. Basically they put fluid back in to try to give the baby enough room to move off the cord. They also put me back on oxygen for a little while.
My Dr left at 5:30 and the on call Dr checked me about 6. He said that I was now at 10 but needed to thin out a little more. It sounded to me like the same situation I had had with Princess. About 7 he came back and said that I was the same. He said to try sitting up straighter to see if that would help. He told us that if I were to try pushing that it could cause swelling that might prevent me from giving birth and from future deliveries. That made us wonder if some of my problems were because I had pushed with Princess for an hour when I was like this. He left the room saying he’d be back in a half hour or so and that we might have to start talking options if this didn’t work.
After checking me he told me to do a practice push with the next contraction. After seeing it he told the nurses to finish getting everything set up. I started pushing around 7:45 and at 7:54 our little Buddy was Born! J
When we saw him for the first time his mouth was open in a scream and Hubby said “his mouth is huge!!” It was true that in comparison to Princess it was. Buddy weighed 8 lbs 12 ou so the ultrasound estimates were VERY WRONG!! He was 8 ounces and 1.5 inches longer than Princess, but thankfully his shoulder had not gotten stuck. J However the cord was wrapped once around his neck.

While I had been in labor Hubby’s parents arrived at our house from CO. Hubby called the house and told Princess the news as well as the grandparents who were there J then the news spread to other family members thru them rather than us calling everyone like we had done with Princess. Hubby told the grandparents that he’d be home after a while and would put Princess to bed so they should just let her stay up a little late. Hubby got to hold Buddy that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment