Saturday, March 29, 2014

Buddy's Birth: The NICU-Part 2

So Saturday and most of Sunday Hubby & I went back and forth from my room to the NICU, though I did go home for a couple hours on Sunday for lunch and to see Princess. Here is a FB post Hubby did about my visit home:  [My wife] was able to go home today for a little bit. Before, she got their, [her] sister K had been struggling with [Princess] to change her diaper. As soon as [My wife] walked in and before K had finished changing the diaper, [Princess] looked up as said, "Diaper change, I tried to stop her ..." Princess had been having a rough day and giving her Aunt & Granny a hard time. We think that she must have thought that if she didn’t let them change her than Mommy would have to come home. J Princess asked me if Daddy was at the store I told her that he was at the hospital with Buddy, she said that was okay. We played and had lunch then I put her down for her nap and got some things together to take back to the hospital. Princess was much better the rest of the day and the next.
That afternoon Buddy’s IV was leaking so they removed it, deciding that he could receive his final rounds of antibiotics by injection. That morning his levels were down to a 3 something, so they were planning to discontinue the antibiotics the next morning. Since he didn’t need the IV anymore we were able to take him back to my room along with a monitor for a while. That was such a relief we were both so happy to have him with us in relative privacy. He continued to do well, though when I was ready for bed I had to take him back to the NICU so they could continue monitoring him and finish up his tests. Around midnight the nurse brought him back to me so I could feed him. When he was done I called her to get him. She did, but brought him back about 10 minutes later saying he was hungry again. This cycle was repeated with her never keeping him more than a few minutes and every time he would just nurse for a few minutes, I’d get him to sleep, she’d take him and he’d wake up so she would return him. She wouldn’t believe me that he wasn’t really hungry. She said that he kept sticking out his tongue looking for food. I tried to tell her that that was just his way of figuring out his world, but she was so used to NICU babies that were small and underweight and pushing them to nurse at every little sign that she wouldn’t listen. I was really frustrated and tired and “telling her off” in my head (while nursing), having decided to tell her to just do her job, give him his bath and keep him content for a few hours so that I could sleep a little, when she returned to check on him and tell me that she thought she should do his weight check and bath etc. She said that she thought he was just being woken up by the hall lights and he was probably fine. DUH!!!! That’s only what I had been saying for hours…it was now 4:30 am. As she was about to leave she was paged that I needed to move to the other end of the hall so that my room could be used for someone else. So she took Buddy back to the NICU while I packed up my stuff. Someone else came with a cart to help me move everything in one trip. After getting settled in the new room it was after 5:30. Before going to sleep I texted Hubby to let him know where I was. Sleep was wonderful. J
Shortly before Hubby arrived with breakfast, I checked on Buddy in the NICU. There had been a shift change and the new nurse told me that he had been sleeping since right after his bath!! He was still sleeping when Hubby went to see him, but just after 9 they brought him to us so he could eat.
Things moved quickly then, as DR. W came to do his final check while he was nursing. After she left the nurse came back to schedule his discharge. She asked when we wanted to leave and we said “how about now?” She went to get the paperwork done and scissors to cut his bands. We left the hospital a little before 11, along with Hubby’s dad who had walked over and arrived about 10 minutes before we were ready to leave.
Princess was excited to see us and thought that Buddy should be taken out of his car seat immediately. J

No comments:

Post a Comment